As much as I love the VMAs, this 2013 edition just left me under whelmed. It was supposed to be the biggest VMAs ever, with a stellar line-up that would almost give the Grammys a run for their money (relax, I said ALMOST!!), but in stead I am sad to say that it was one of the worst…
And yes the stage was beautiful (thank you KAWS), but if the celebs are not sitting in front of the stage you are keeping us from having some epic random VMA-moments. You need to give people like Lil’ Mama an opportunity to run on stage and ruin a perfectly good performance, just because they “Felt it” (Yes, I could’ve said Kanye, but he’s my dog and I support his little incident so take a seat).
There were some things that I liked though;
1. DANITY KAAAAAANE! I was flippin’ out when I saw them arrive on the red carpet live cameras. I knew they would come back. Now I need Diddy to sit down with them and give me a new season of MTB 4. Bring back Day 26 too, while we’re at it. #nobitchassness
2. I just died when Rihanna knocked that popcorn into her friend’s lap and then put it on the seat of the girl in front of her (I guess they know you BA-AAA-AA-AD).
3. Also I would like to know what Gaga and Will Smith were laughing about the whole time. I can’t even think of what those two would discuss with one another hahah.
4. And I wonder if Miley knew how her friends she came over to say hi to (Willow and Jaden) were not entirely sure about her performance just moments before they were all smiles with her.
5. Hello!! Can we talk about Kanye’s performance. To this very moment I’m still trying to figure out where exactly he was and if he was even there or if it was some hologram shit or sum’. It was so epic!
6. Justin freaking Timberlake. His performance just lasted forever and took place in every corner of the Barclays center. It honestly felt like this whole show was just a façade. I literally felt like the entire show was a mini JT concert.
7. (I’m sorry, but I have to do this) ’N SYNC. I saw y’all compete for that attention and trying to get your shine on. At least when B brings out Kelly and Michelle they stay in they lane and don’t try to upstage her hahahah. That moment was a little funny, you have to admit.
8. Bruno mars of course always kills it. Especially the ending was everything and more!
Now the list of things I didn’t like just goes on and on (,on the beat goes), but I’ll just stick to the most awkward parts.
1. Where was my host? Can I have a host? Did you run out of budget to pay Kevin Hart a proper amount to actually host the whole thing and not just make a random appearance twice in the show? (oh and Kevin, you were strugglin’ to be funny… not a good look my man)
2. Lil’ Kim, Lil’ Kim, Lil’ Kim… I just… I can’t.
3. Why did JHud suddenly perform with Ryan Lewis and Macklemore?? How.. Why?.. Who..?? So random.
4. GaGa, damnit girl, put on some damn clothes. Your cheeks are out. That thread you got in between them is not covering ANYTHING!! And FYI your show was very under whelming. Try doing this for 5 more years and then do a retrospective of all your past looks (that first wig was not put on right and it distracted me the entire time).
5. Miley, You’re not black! YOU IS NOT BLACK homegirl. Okay, give me a minute to explain; I’m in no way narrow minded nor do I believe in labels, but COME ON!!! It’s not even like she’s Iggy Azalea, then it would have been fine. But you can clearly tell that she is trying sooo damn hard. She done lost her mother-freakin’ mind!
Imma have to keep it at that. I can not even get into the fact that all these winners were doubtful. We need to stop with all these fan-votings at award shows, because clearly with this system the only ones that will ever win again are the likes of these teen Disney stars like Taylor and Selena, whose fans are 12 and have nothing better to do all day than sit behind their computers and vote a million times. (Dear Taylor, admitting that you practically begged for this award was not cool)
I have a whole lot more to say about Taylor and Rihanna, who seemed half past bored the entire time, and 1 Direction, who I’m kind of getting tired of, but I can’t. That’s just too much hatin’. I’m outta here. Let me leave y'all with the beautiful image of 4 gorgeous ladies. Peace!
ps.: Uhmm.. it was in Brooklyn, so where was Jay? And B? Diddy? Wayne? Pink? I was missing a whole bunch of stars… It’s a sign y’all.