20120925

I-READ: Vman 27


Hi my name is DIVO and I'm a recovering magazine addict. I have to say though, that I'm kind of past my addiction. You know, at this point I've seen and read so many magazines that most of them fail to impress me anymore (thank the lord for that, it took me long enough to get here). But I still have a few favourites and since after reading them I always feel enlightened, I thought I'd share my findings with you. This way I feel like it wasn't for nothing, and you don't have to buy it. win-win!
Vman is definitely one of my favourite magazines, because they just get it; no bullshit, straight to the point, clean design, simple lay-out and that's it. That's all a man wants. (Of course I'm not your average guy so I can appreciate the little bells and whistles every now and then, but honestly magazines like Elle and Vogue drive me nuts. Like, why is there so much going on on those pages?). 


It all starts with the editor's note. To me that sets the tone for the entire magazine. Like, tell me why you made this issue and why the theme is so now. It wasn't half bad, but I hate that they signed it off as "the editors". No, dude! Fashion is not a democracy! The Editor-in-Chief should write it. To this very day I think Jim Nelson from the American GQ is the best Editor-in-Chief, not because he makes the best magazine in the world (although there was a time where I used to think so), but because his notes were so personal, funny, relate-able and perfectly introduced the theme of the issue. I want to admire one person for their amazing vision, you know. But they worked out the theme well - as always - so I'll let it slide.

So this was the sports issue (you would think we got rid of that situation after the olympics, but I guess not) and you could smell it throughout the entire content. I LOVE that! And the shoots were so slick and so cool of course. They were sporty, but not cheesy, you know?! It was fresh. And I'm a huge fan of the editorial shoots where the models are jumping in the air in, in over-the-top styled looks, in some pose that makes them look completely ridiculous (yet I still want everything they're wearing, no matter how crazy they look). In case you didn't know, when you see a group of models with a lot of clothes on, jumping in the air together it's a shot from Vman. Or Lacoste hahahaha. 

Their cover story was questionable. First of all, it was waaaay too Givenchy-meets-Snoop Dogg to me. And the interview... It was cool to see Tom Ford's genuine interest in Architecture (that's what he actually studied), but honestly it felt like he was doing more talking than his subject. How?? I don't know, but I don't believe an interview is supposed to be about the interviewer.


An interview I did like was the one with U.K. producer Jamie xx. I thought his description of his band's second album was so honest; "I don't think it represents a new sound - it just represents our progression." I'm so over all these artists who with each album try to act like they're doing something completely new. Dude, your album sounds just like every other album out there right now. Stop frontin'.

Speaking of frontin', my man Carmelo Anthony (they could've better interviewed Lala). Don't you just love when all these ball players and rappers say things like "I've always loved fashion." Look, some do, and I recognize Fubu and Evisu and all other brands we used to rock back in them days (once upon a time I too was into the baggy hip hop look), but let's not pretend like.. I mean, no disrespect, but some of these niggas be killin' me with this. I mean, you can tell when people are into things you wouldn't expect, but I hate when it just sounds like they're trying to brand themselves. 

And let's not forget about the stars of the upcoming movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Ezra Miller, just awnser the damn questions, you douche! Logan Lerman (pictured ) and Johnny Simmons, stop trying to look perfect. Reece Thompson, you rock! He kept it real. When asked what book had a big impact on him he answered "The Hobbit. I remember reading that book in a week, when I was about 13. It was the first book that I ever read that quickly, and it really made me feel accomplished." I felt the same way about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

But the story that stayed with me most was that of Damien Echols, a man charged with the death sentence for a crime he did no commit. He spent 18 years in prison, 10 of which in isolation. The only reason why he is out and alive now, is because the state got him to sign a contract saying that he won't sue them for their mistake. The actual person who committed the murders is still walking around free, even though they know who it is. Google this man, watch the upcoming documentary he made with Peter Jackson and read his story. I know that I always joke around and stuff and it's stories like these that keep my spirit alive. Examples of how easily your life can be taken away from you and changed forever.

Love, R.


P.S.: In case you still don't realize it, I do have a serious side.

1 comment: