20110904

TRUTH-B-TOLD: The Oscars are not objective!

For Coloured girls… The title of this movie would suggest that it’s going to be an empowering story to inspire the black girl. In a way it does, but don’t expect this movie to be all Cinderella-story-happy-ending. No. Maybe if you hear the entire title you get a better feel; For Coloured Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf. That was the original name, used for the play this movies was based on. But you know how those Americans do. Hell breaks loose when they see a nipple on TV or, god forbid, someone saying fuck #SMH. They need to get over themselves. There are worse things in the world.









But let’s get back to the movie (I’ll deal with these Americans some other time). I just watched it and I just don’t understand how this movie wasn’t soaked in Oscar nominations… If I recall, it didn’t get one nod.. Come on now! The acting in this movie is STELLAR! Are you kidding me?! These black women are acting like nobodies bizz!


People are tired of hearing the black thing and all, but it’s things like this that make people pull the race card. Cuz you best believe that if this movie was white (or hell, even Hispanic or Jewish) and the actresses were M. Streep, N. Kidman, C. Blanchett or K. Winslet, just to name a few, this movie would have ruled at the Academy Awards. But now, all that this movie will ever be is a “black movie”.

I have so much respect for Tyler Perry. That man, he is doing great things. Not only is he the first black man to own his own studios, but I feel like he has taken the phenomenon of “black movies” to a higher level. You and I both know that as much as we enjoy them, in general our movies tend to lack quality. The biggest problem IMO is sound editing. The first movie that comes to mind is Obsessed. I hate to call out Beyoncé, but like I said, I gotta keep it 100. Beyoncé girl, you got money, you could’ve hired some real talent to do that mixing for you. The music and sound editing in that movie was just horrendous. Songs would just start playing really loud out of the blue, and songs that didn’t fit the scene. And of course she had to throw in a couple of her own songs, which I understand, but the way they did it was not cute. Sorry boo, but you failed on that one.

Tyler’s stories are just refreshing. Why Did I Get Married 1 and 2, I’m telling you, THAT’S WHASSUP! I was so happy that for once our brotha’s and sista’s were well established and rich. EXCUSE YOU, how about that scene where all the women are rockin’ their floor length fur coats. Uh-huh, I was so proud. I know it sounds stupid, but you just don’t see that a lot. It was beautiful.

Of course For Coloured Girls was not like that in any way, but that’s okay. Truth be told, things like this happen. That’s just the world we live in. I want to get into the story, but some of you have probably not seen it yet, so I won’t. What I will say is that some of the things that happen are just heart-breaking. I am still shocked over Michael Ealy and what he does. I think that a lot of women will find this movie very hard to sit through, but it’s worth it if you ask me. And Janet is just taking it home. Between this movie and Why Did I Get Married, I’m almost starting to think that she actually is very sad, hurt and bitter. She plays those parts way too good. It’s like she’s Perry’s go-to girl for these characters. You know, kinda like my boy Breezy always gets casted for movies in which he dies hahahahah. Homeboy just can’t get a break!

But look at this movie and then explain to me how it didn’t get any Oscar nominations, when these simple ass movies like The Devil Wears Prada and The Social Network not only get nominated but actually win some awards too. Okay Meryl was brilliant, but seriously, that kid from TSN, he wasn’t acting, he just IS that awkward. Have you seen him on the red carpet? I’m just saying. And it’s not like that story or anything about that movie was groundbreaking. Maybe Hollywood ain’t all that after all…

In the end it doesn’t matter. It’s like a battle which we will always be fightin’. Honestly, I’m not the second coming of MLK or anything, but sometimes you just have to speak up, you know. People think that racism is gone and ish, but it’s not. And it’s alive in the ignorance of people who don’t even realize what they’re saying sometimes (I was gonna give you an example about this girl in my class, but I still have to make class projects with her, and I really don’t feel like having drama, so I won’t. Maybe next year, when I’m done working with her hahahaha).

Certain jokes are only okay within your circle of close friends. Then it doesn’t matter what race everyone is or whatever. I remember this one friend of mine I made this joke with. I used to work with him (actually he was my mananger hahahaha but we were cool like that) and this one time me, him and the other manager (who was more like a friend too hahahaha. He was white and she was black btw) were joking about how I would have to run for cover in the ghetto before him. Me in my UGGS, singin’ Ease On Down The Road, would have no chance to survive in the hood, but he’d be fine with his Jordans, rappin’ allong to Dr. Dre. Although they might steal his Ipad 2 and sneakers and girlfriend hahahahahah. Maybe neither one of us should go to the hood.

I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t end this post on a positive note, so I’d just like to say that your colour can get you great things too. And sometimes it doesn’t matter at all. I was once cast to play Galileo in the musical We Will Rock You, when that part is not really for a black actor. And might I ad, that them Cougars (and milfs) love them some fresh black meat as well hahahahaha. I’m sorry, but they really do #ubetterasksomebody

Love, R.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahhhahahha ryfa you realy rocked this one!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm not all into those "black movies", but you've made me very curious about this one. I think this is by far one of my fav posts of you. I may not comment, but I do read every one of them.

    Keep it coming R!

    ReplyDelete